Troop 3 History
Royal S. Pease and Charles D. Miller founded Troop 3 in April 1910 in Smithtown, New York. Suffolk County chartered us on September 30, 1910. It was known as Troop 1 until around 1930, because at this point of time, every town that had a Scout troop began with Troop 1 and counted up from there. After the Suffolk County Council was formed in 1930 and took over all Troops and organized its' records, all Troops were renumbered and we were given the number 3 because at that time, we were the third oldest Troop in the county. Presently, we are the oldest continuously run Troop on Long Island, and in the ten oldest Troops in the United States.
At this time the Troop was sponsored by a group of citizens in the Smithtown area. Unfortunately we have found it impossible to get any of the names of these people. This group held sponsorship until sometime between 1939 and 1942, when Kiwanis International took it over.
In the year 1912/1913 leadership of the Troop was taken over solely by Mr. Charles D. Miller. The Troop had eight scouts attending summer camp this year. Mr. Miller also lead the Troop in 1913/1914. Unfortunately there is no record of who the S.P.L. was at this time. The Troop Scribe was Joseph Flocker. The Troop averaged two outdoor meetings a month during this period. Their indoor meetings were held in the green library building.
The Troops first meeting place was the very small green library building now located at the Smithtown Historical Society, Brush Barn . The original location of the library building is where the Cedar Tree is located at the intersection between the Smithtown Library and the First Presbyterian Church. The library building was later relocated to Smithtown Cemetery as an equipment building.
In 1924, the Troop had a Scout House at the First Presbyterian Church , which was a private buggy shed located at the rear of the church property. It was the garage in which the Handly Family kept there automobile while attending church services. There was an agreement between the Handly estate and the Scout Troop that the Troop may have the use of the building as long as there was a Scout Troop in Smithtown. Unfortunately in 1952 the building was burned to the ground.
During the 1920's, under Mr. Millers Scout Mastership, some of the Scouts were Joe Corbani, Allen Land, and George Stevenson, all of whom later became Scoutmasters of the Troop.
Mr. Miller held the Scout mastership for several years. Upon the retirement of Mr. Miller form this post Mr. Richard Sutton took over the position of Scoutmaster. Mr. Miller remained as Chairman of the troop committee until 1928. Some time later Rich Sutton passed on leadership of the Troop of Fred Sturm.
In 1928 Mr. Miller's duties being too arduous, he handed down the management of the Troop to a community committee. Thus forming the first Troop Committee. The Troop has been so managed ever since.
Mr. Sturm remained as Scoutmaster of Troop 3 until around 1925, then he passed on leadership of the Troop to his son, Robert Strum. Robert Sturm led the Troop until 1931.
In 1931 Joseph Land took over leadership of the Troop. Some time later he passed on leadership of the Troop to Mr. Frank Corbani, who had a son in the Troop who was later to become the Scoutmaster. During this time the former Suffolk County Executive, John V. N. Klein was a Scout.
Mr. Corbani passed on the Scout Mastership to Lester Maxwell, who held the position for a few years until he passed it on to a formed Scout, George Stevenson.
In 1936 Mr. Stevenson relinquished his title to Allen Land, another former Scout. The Troop Committee consisted of five members, of whom Rev. Raymond H. Case was Chairman.
Mr. Land Continued as Scoutmaster until sometime in the early 1940's when he passed on the responsibility to Rev. Case. This change took place at about the same time as the sponsorship of the Troop changed.
In 1942 during Rev. Cases years as Scoutmaster the Troop thrived. The sponsor was Kiwanis International, and the Troop Committee was eight members strong with Walter Roberts at its head. At this time there were also two Assistant Scoutmasters.
In 1944 Mr. Joe Carbani, a former Scout, took over the leadership of the Troop from Rev. Case. The Troop had 35 members in 1944. In 1946, with Mr. Corvani still acting as Scoutmaster Troop 3 went on a Camporee. It was held on May 24-26th, and twelve Scouts attended.
In 1948 Mr. Corbani passed on leadership to Robert Nichols who passed it on to Mr. John Kassay. In 1952 the Troop Committee had 6 members. The chairman was William Dow. The Assistant Scoutmaster was Walter Machecek. Also during this time the future Circuit Court Supervising Judge, Peter G. Dounias, was a member of Troop 3. The camping trips the Troop held were at Long Beach, and Summer Camp was at Baiting Hollow. In 1952 The Troop moved its meeting place to Smithtown Branch High School (Smithtown High School East). Two years later the Troop began meeting at the American Legion Hall on Juniper Ave. in Smithtown.
In 1953 Eugene Waiters took over the Scout mastership. The Troop Committee was seven members strong with William Dow still at its' head.
In 1954 Mr. Matteis became the Scoutmaster. Mr. Matteis passed on the duties of Scoutmaster to Lindsay A. Goodliffe in 1955. Another change which took place in 1955 was that Mr. Dow resigned as the Troop Committee Chairman and was replaced by Mr. W. J. Phillips. The Troop Committee was eight members strong at this time.
In 1957 Dominick Mitskevich took over as Scoutmaster. At this time the Troop had thirty-five members, including Peter DiGregorio, past coach at Smithtown High School West.
In 1958 Richard J. Peters was Scoutmaster, Mr. Phillips was still Committee Chairman. Troop 3 had thirty-five members, including three Star Scouts. David Long Jr. was Senior Patrol Leader. the Troop Committee was still headed by Mr. Phillips, however, its' membership had dwindled to five.
In 1960 the Troop met at the Sweetbriar Elementary School and George H. Styles took over as Scoutmaster. The Troop grew to forty-three scouts. John Matheson was the Senior Patrol Leader, and the Troop Committee grew to six members. That summer twenty-five boys attended summer camp at Baiting Hollow. The Assistant Scoutmaster was Robert Judson.
In 1961 George Styles handed down leadership of the Troop to George Knittle, who held it until 1963. In October the Troop attended the Annual Retreat for Catholics in Scouting. Radcliffe N. Choate became Chairman of the Committee which had again grown to eight members. Mr. Styles remained on as Assistant Scoutmaster.
In 1963Vincent Hayden became the Scoutmaster. The Committee had six members.
In 1964 George H. Harrison became Scoutmaster. The Troop began meeting in the YMCA in Smithtown. The Troop had fifty members at this time. Lauren Mc Cary was the Senior Patrol Leader. At this time the Troop Committee dwindled to an all time low of three members. With Henry Redlien Jr. at its head. Mr. Harrison passed on the position of Scoutmaster to John Mc Cary in 1966 but remained as Committee Chairman until 1969.
In 1966, during Mr. Mc Cary time as Scoutmaster, the Troop Committee grew again to seven members. The Troop at this time also began to hold it's meetings at Landing School.
In 1968 Bert Mitchell took over the leadership of the Troop. He remained in that position for two years.
In 1969 George Harrison resigned as Committee chairman and Robert Normandin took his place. In 1970 Mr. Mitchell passed on the Scout mastership to Joseph Kusick who held the position for two years. While Mr. Kusick was Scoutmaster the Troop held its meetings at Landing School.
In 1972 he passed the Scout mastership on to John Tucciarone. In 1974 Mr. Tucciarone passed the Scout mastership on to Jack Spencer.
In 1975 Robert Normandin resigned as Committee Chairman and James Mc Shane took over. He remained in this position until 1979. In 1976 Jim Hausle became Scoutmaster of the Troop. In 1979 Mr. Normandin returned to his post as Committee Chairman.
Mr. Richard Yando took over Scout mastership of the Troop in 1982 and held the position for two years. In 1984 John Pawluk became the Scoutmaster of Troop 3, and in 1985 the Troop moved its meeting place to Smithtown Elementary School.
In 1986 Mr. Normandin left the Troop Committee and it was taken over by Ed Paganucci.
Many of the Troop 3 archives are now housed at the Smithtown Library in the Historical Archives collection. The Smithtown Historical Society H.Q. has limited information regarding the history of Troop 3.
If you have any additional information or documents about Troop 3, please contact the Webmaster.